Monday, October 2, 2023

'The Creator' Film Review

 I’ve seen buzz for this film comparing it to genre-defining classics such as Blade Runner, Alien, District 9, Ex-Machina, and Arrival. Unfortunately, it falls much more in line with Avatar. 

Solid direction, competent writing and character work, and stunning visuals that transport you effortlessly into the world, but unfortunately don’t do or say anything that you couldn’t predict from the first 5 minutes. While there is nothing inherently wrong, it just doesn’t feel like I’m seeing anything new. Beautiful execution of the same tried out tropes.
 
Even still there are things that felt just off to me. The emotional core of the film mostly works, but I still just had a level of disconnect that I wish I didn’t. 

I wanted to love this movie, and perhaps my expectations were too high and in time and with rewatches I’ll appreciate it more, but this unfortunately doesn’t feel like a film that will sit with me in the same way that the films it’s getting compared to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment